Four suspects walked into the Delmas High Court in Mpumalanga yesterday where they were joined by one of South Africa’s most wanted robbers, Wellington Cenanda (39) and other accomplices to face cash in transit charges.

The quartet, who were out on bail, thought it was business as usual when the court was adjourned, little did they know that the Hawks were a step ahead of them. The moment they left the court room the Hawks pounced on them.

One was linked to an alleged August 2016 foiled cash in transit in Gravelotte, Limpopo whilst the other three suspects were positively linked to a cash in transit which happened in Carolina, Mpumalanga in March the same year.

It is alleged the 39 year old suspect was allegedly part of a 12 member armed group that attacked an armoured vehicle using three vehicles in Gravelotte. The armoured vehicle was shot at and the armed crewman returned fire. One of the suspects’ vehicles attempted to ram the van but lost control and crashed. The suspects allegedly hijacked a passing motorist and the group fled the scene empty handed.

Whilst the three other suspect allegedly took part in an attempted armed robbery where they attacked an armoured vehicle on the R33 Wonderfontein – Carolina road. The armoured vehicle was sprayed with bullets, prompting the armed guards to retaliate and after an aggressive standoff the armed group also left empty handed.

The three Sam Masinga (43), Jan Makitla (43), and John Rahube (37), appeared on charges of attempted murder and armed robbery at Carolina Magistrate’s Court yesterday. Their case has been remanded to next week Thursday where they will apply for bail.

The Gravelotte suspect who is known but cannot be named until he appears in court, will be appearing today at the local Magistrate’s Court facing similar charges of attempted murder and armed robbery.

Six other suspects who allegedly ambushed an armoured vehicle in Hans Coverdale West, east of Eersterust and bombed an armoured vehicle ripping it apart and made off with a number of money bags in December last year, will be appearing today at the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court for the first time as a group.


The six suspects were arrested following lengthy investigations by the Hawks, Crime intelligence and Tactical Response Team (TRT). One of the suspects was arrested immediately after the incident and further investigations led the teams to other five suspects in Soshanguve and Limpopo. Several rifles and explosives were confiscated whilst investigations are still continuing to search for the other remaining suspects.


The National Head of the Hawks Lieutenant General Godfrey Lebeya has welcomed the arrests adding that the investigative methods the Hawks have implemented are yielding good results.


“The instruction is that all suspects arrested for cash-in-transits, we shall oppose bail. We will continue to stamp the authority of the state in our efforts, without any fear or favour,” said Lieutenant General Lebeya